Transitions to School- Parent Information
Getting Involved at School!
Helping at Home
Videos Reading and Language Arts
- Make reading part of every day, even for just a few minutes.
- Have fun.
- Talk about the pictures. You do not have to read the book to tell a story.
- Let your child turn the pages.
- Show your child the cover page. Explain what the story is about.
- Run your finger along the words as you read them.
- Silly sounds, especially animal sounds, are fun to make.
- Choose books about events in your child's life such as starting preschool, going to the dentist, getting a new pet, or moving to a new home.
- Make the story come alive. Create voices for the story characters.
- Ask questions about the story. What do you think will happen next? What is this?
- Let your child ask questions about the story. Talk about familiar activities and objects.
- Let your child retell the story.
- Visit your local library often.